3/31/2009

Vacation

I took about eight days vacation, partly at home, a few days at family in Iowa. I usually have a long list of tasks I want to accomplish during vacation, but I put my to-do list away and didn't do much. I took a bunch of pictures, organized some writing, learned how to salsa dance, went to the doctor. Read a mystery and some magazines.

Besides putting my to-do list away, I turned off my cell phone for the entire time, turned it off and put it in a drawer. There were several times I wanted to use it but I kept it off. It definitely signaled "not working right now" to me. And I didn't turn on my work email (except for the first day when I had something to finish.)

I felt the addiction of the computer and phone most of the week. I checked my Facebook page far too often just for something to do. I'm so used to messages popping up every 30 minutes or so, or the phone ringing. It is hard to step away.

But I'm thinking maybe I don't have to wait for vacation to keep practicing this -- perhaps I'll put the phone in the drawer more often, set aside the email when I come home. Maybe...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good idea. I am aware of how much I am ruled by email. I actually interrupt what I am doing (say, writing a talk) to "answer" my email, when I hear I have one. Who's in charge here? Not me!
Catharine

Cindy Ramsey said...

Michelle, your post was prescient; check out this article that appeared in Salon a day after, describing the author's attempt to break free of connectivity:

http://www.salon.com/mwt/feature/2009/04/01/freedom_traister/index.html