12/13/2008

Responding to Sudden Angels

I'm moving the annunciation text to the Third Sunday of Advent because next week is the Children's Christmas Program and I just hate to miss this scene. A few years ago I put several annunciation paintings on my blog and although this is a repeat, I'm going to do it again. The paintings are support material to my sermon tomorrow and we don't do powerpoint here so...

(A few years ago I also made a movie with many of these images with Amy Grant's "Breath of Heaven" playing. It is beautiful to watch these paintings, one after another, with that song.)

Anyway, here we are, annotated as I know them.


















Maurice Denis














Fra Filippo Lippi 1440




















Robert Campin




















Alessandro Botticelli. Cestello Annunciation. 1489-1490





















1979















Fra Angelico, ca 1440-1445




















Carl Bloch




















He Qi






















Jan Van Eyck, ca 1425
















Henry Ossawa Tanner, 1898

2 comments:

Jeff said...

What great images! I've really come to like one from Carlo Crivelli - there's a lase-like beam coming from the heaven's to Mary and a great deal of symbolism surrounding it as well.

Purple said...

Thank you for sharing these. I listened to "Breath of Heaven" in my mind as I viewed them.